PerkinElmer Informatics Support Forum
Decrease font size
Increase font size
Topic Title: Snow Leopard Cut & Paste
Topic Summary: It appears as though the ChemDraw cut & paste functionality is broken in Snow Leopard.
Created On: 8/30/2009 1:35 PM
Status Post and Reply
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
<< 1 2 3 Previous Next >> Last unread
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 10/3/2009 1:17 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

dtr

re: round-trip editing feature

There is a bug report in * openoffice.org * (Just as good as MS Word if not better and completely free and open source, and works really well on windows) bugzilla. It has perfect DOC format support and the official ISO standard odf format. iWork doesn't support the former very well and can't read the latter at all, so it is not a real option.

Please VOTE for the issue and add comments to show how important it is for us. You may need to register, but it is worth it.

http://qa.openoffice.org/issues/show_bug.cgi?id=81512

To CS: please show some initiative and fix it for us.
 10/5/2009 4:04 AM

drc007

Whilst it might be reasonable that there might be minor quirks that become apparent with the release of Snow Leopard the issues with copy/paste and round-trip editing are such major problems I can only assume there was no testing using pre-release builds of Snow Leopard. An Apple developer account is a trivial amount of money (free for students) and would have provided an early heads up of issues.

As others have pointed out using the automated response is rather insulting, I would have expected better from you.
 10/6/2009 6:32 PM

smp44

I see that I am not the only one with this problem AND there is no CS fix for it currently. My temporary fix was copying structures (from v11) into Word 04, then copying from Word to Keynote. Obviously, this route was not very efficient.

I hope CS fixes the problem soon, because I already am exploring alternatives (i.e., Chemdoodle, Marvin Sketch, etc.).
 10/7/2009 11:46 AM

Ten Dee Queue

This issue is considerably large and demands attention. I certainly hope that someone at CS notices that this is ENTIRELY deserving of a patch, and not a new version of chemdraw.

As an added 'Screw You' bug, has anyone mentioned yet that Snow Leopard has a massive incompatibility with Office X or Office 2004? There's a row being raised on the official Apple forums - Apparently if you try to work in Office X or Office 2004 on Snow Leopard, the Operating System crashes at unpredictable intervals and logs out out entirely, destroying your work and making it impossible to get anything done. It's apparently a bug in the new version of Rosetta. See link here.

So, to review: If you have Snow Leopard, you can't use Office 2004 or Office X because it's unstable. Apple's official line is to upgrade to Office 2008. But wait! Cambridgesoft says that 2008 was broken by Microsoft, so you have to use Office X or Office 2004 instead! Oops.

Bottom line: If you bought a new Mac recently, you're hosed.
 10/9/2009 2:53 PM

jdwarren

The time is coming for me to make a decision on renewing my University's site license. Given the attitude of the people at CS and the inexcusable ignorance of this problem beforehand, I'm not sure I am comfortable forking out $15,000 for an inferior product, especially since most of the users here are Mac people. For those that aren't aware, there is an excellent alternative to ChemDraw if you are only interested in that portion of the program. Check out ChemDoodle, I think I paid ~$30 for the software and haven't had any problems with it. I can outfit quite a few people for $15,000 at $30 a pop...
 10/14/2009 5:35 AM

CL

Can you say when there'll be an update for ChemDraw working with Snow Leopard? I'm trying to write a Ph.D. thesis here.

Thx
 10/20/2009 4:59 PM

pcharles

My fix for all these problems, and many others on Snow Leopard, was to go back to Leopard. Sadly, this is not an option for people with new machines. What I do not understand is how our sysadmin recently bought 11, when 12 is the current version.

10/20/2009 5:02 PM

pcharles

The other option, for "casual" users might be something like Chem Doodle! At $59 its a somewhat less expensive option than upgrading to ChemDraw 13!
 10/21/2009 10:16 AM

Ed2

Just phoned their technical services (someone called Steve Mizzi) before finding this website, and it seems they did not even know those issues... Anyway, they are supposed to come back to me today or tomorrow... I shall keep you posted...

(The number to call is 00 800 875 20000 - Please make sure you get your voice heard to get matters moving, and not just on a forum)
 10/29/2009 3:00 PM

keith64

Up the softeware does not cut and paste with Windows 7 (64 bit). Again you have to downgrade to use there software.
 11/10/2009 11:24 AM

werew12

Hi,

I just had the same copy chemdraw (11) past keynote (5) problem as you described 8/30/09 in the chem draw for mac forum.

my solution: copy in chemdraw, paste into a power point slide, copy again and paste into keynote and: it works. no oversizing and cutting!

as for the problem that one cannot type into most of the dialog boxes within chemdraw 11 or 12: open a text box in chemdraw, type in the value you need, cut it, open the dialog, paste the number and it works, too.

it's really incredible, that these issues arise and i regret it to have updated to snow leopard, but so it is, now.

12/19/2009 4:44 AM

drc007

Any news of when we might have a solution? Perhaps an unexpected Christmas present?
 1/19/2010 12:34 PM

Koke

the same thing happens when pasting to adobe illustrator, a black box is pasted instead of the structure
 1/24/2010 6:45 AM

drc007

I see that Mac OSX 10.7 has appeared in weblogs (http://www.macrumors.com/2010/...-dev-release-at-wwdc/) and there are rumors it will be released in July. Can Cambridgesoft get a developers license and work with Apple to get all the bugs fixed.
 2/19/2010 7:47 AM

cepi

Six months from the first post!
Any solution?
 2/23/2010 3:56 AM

piperidine

Still checking this link every day:

http://discussions.apple.com/t...eadID=2150941&tstart=0

No solution there either. Sad.
 3/19/2010 6:34 AM

drc007

Over 40,000 views of this topic, by far and away the most viewed. There are a lot of disgruntled users out there.
 3/22/2010 8:47 AM

piperidine

Still hoping...
 3/29/2010 3:08 PM

CS Talbot

Please be aware that, Apple's position on this case is that "it will not be possible to provide a solution to this problem that will be compatible with current versions of Mac OS X."

Also note that no other competing product has a solution for the round trip editing problem either. We realize that this affects the majority of our Macintosh community and will continue to work with Apple and Microsoft on this issue as we would love to see it resolved, too!

-------------------------

- PerkinElmer Informatics Support

4/7/2010 4:49 AM

hmsenn

While I appreciate the difficulties in getting the round-trip editing/back-pasting to work, can I reinforce the message to CS that many of us just need straight, simple pasting from ChemDraw into Keynote (or other iWork apps)!
I am not aware of any program on the Mac where this elementary functionality was broken, at least not in the last 20 years... So CS please stop moaning about Apple and Microsoft and get the job done!

FuseTalk Basic Edition v4.0 - © 1999-2017 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.