Decrease font size
Increase font size
Topic Title: When is it coming?
Topic Summary: Snow leopard and Chem Draw
Created On: 9/28/2009 4:12 PM
Status Post and Reply
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 9/28/2009 4:12 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

quintus

We are now almost into October and have Mac OS 10..6.1 and still no response from Cambridgesoft in terms of a fix for the problems.
This is an impossible situation which requires immediate attention, especially for such expensive software.
Come on Cambridge do something and rapidly, please
Stuart J. Mickel
 9/29/2009 4:15 AM

CS RNA

We hope to support Snow Leopard in future, in a future point release. We have no information as to when this issue will be addressed at this time, but all new releases and patches are announced in the ChemBioNews weekly email.

-------------------------

- PKI Support

9/29/2009 10:08 AM

quintus

Yes, I've heard this before, many times.
But because of the loss of Chem Draw my work is suffering significantly, not yours, so some date in the future is not good enough, I and many others need to know when we can expect this release.
Stuart J. Mickel
 9/30/2009 1:31 PM

quintus

Let us know what you would do if the boot was on the other foot!
 10/1/2009 10:11 AM

quintus

No answer to that question?
Let's hear from someone in authority, for example the chief executive about the problem.

10/3/2009 7:19 AM

dtr

Please, could you sort out the issues, including copy/edit from MS office?!
 10/14/2009 4:16 AM

quintus

I'm still waiting for an answer, it's now mid October and I have had to lay out another $60 to use Chemdoodle. I'd prefer ChemDraw.
Please fix it soon.
Stuart J. Mickel
 10/26/2009 4:44 PM

CS Talbot

We have released a 12.0.1 update of ChemBioDraw/ChemDraw 12 that addresses several known MacOS 10.6 issues. With this update, users will be able to double-click files to open them. It will also enable users to type text in dialog boxes.

http://www.cambridgesoft.com/s...ktopSupport/Downloads/">http://www.cambridgesoft.com/s...ktopSupport/Downloads/

There are still problems with the Plugin, which is not included in this update, with justifying text, and issues with pasting into iWorks applications. We are still working on a MacOS 10.6 compatible version to address these other issues and will announce that release on our Compatibility page once it is available.

- PerkinElmer Informatics Support

10/26/2009 5:14 PM

plotti

is there any chance to get an update for version 11?
 10/28/2009 11:08 AM

quintus

Thank you for the information. I shall install immediately
Stuart J. Mickel
 11/3/2009 6:57 AM

Koke

What about version 11? Please give us a free upgrade to 12 if you are not fixing it!!
 11/4/2009 10:00 AM

quintus

This I agree with, I have had my version 11, just under 1 year now and 2 - 3 months I could not use it properly.
A free upgrade would be a fine gesture on the part of Cambridge soft
Quintus
 11/10/2009 2:16 PM

NanoBroccoli

Originally posted by: quintus
This I agree with, I have had my version 11, just under 1 year now and 2 - 3 months I could not use it properly.
A free upgrade would be a fine gesture on the part of Cambridge soft
Quintus

Fat chance. CS has your money now, they know you need them more than they need you. The only way they're going to get more money out of your is to frustrate you to the point that you're willing to pay for an upgrade to version 12 just to get marginal usability out of a product that you've already paid for once.

My suggestion to all mac users is to start looking for alternative software solutions. My research group (which consists of 75% mac users) has decided not to upgrade to version 12 after the the snow leopard debacle. If anyone has suggestions for replacement software I'd love to hear it. So far ChemDoodle looks like a good interim solution.
 9/10/2010 3:59 PM

CS Talbot

When copying a structure in ChemDraw 12.0.1 and below, the ChemDraw application would put a PICT of the image on the clipboard. We embedded chemical information into the PICT image, so that when that PICT image was transferred back into ChemDraw, the ChemDraw application would be able to interpret the picture as a chemically meaningful object that could be edited by ChemDraw. Due to continued modernizations in the Mac OS, newer applications are no longer supporting the PICT format on the clipboard. In newer applications, the use of PDFs to transfer copied images is now what is expected. This is why round trip editing between ChemDraw 12.0.1 and below and MS Office 2008 applications as well as iWorks applications ceased to work.

CambridgeSoft has made changes to ChemDraw 12.0.2, so that instead of only using the now unsupported PICT format, we now place the chemical information into the PDF that gets placed on the clipboard when copying a structure in ChemDraw. The application that this PDF gets pasted into now needs to handle the PDF correctly, such that the chemical information is not stripped. Apple has this working with the latest version of Keynote. They are working towards getting the other iWorks applications to also support the expected PDF with the chemical information, so round trip editing can happen in more than Keynote. Microsoft is also actively pursuing a solution that will allow Microsoft Office documents to handle the chemical information in the PDF. Currently the chemical information is being stripped from the PDF by MS Office 2008 applications, such that what remains is just a picture, and not something that can be edited by ChemDraw.

If you have older MS Office Mac documents and open them in the current version of MS Office for the Mac, you will find that the structures can no longer be edited (they are just pictures) for the reasons above. You will find the same problem if you try to transfer an MS Office 2008 document to Windows or if you open any Windows MS Office document in MS Office 2008 for the Mac. You would either need to use MS Office 2004 for the Mac or redraw the structure in ChemDraw and save a copy of the redrawn structure as a ChemDraw file for editing at a later time.

We will continue to update our Compatibility page on the Support site as new information becomes available.

We recommend that all users upgrade to ChemDraw 12.0.2.

- PerkinElmer Informatics Support

Edited: 9/13/2010 at 11:56 AM by CS Talbot

FuseTalk Basic Edition v4.0 - © 1999-2020 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.