Decrease font size
Increase font size
Topic Title: Word 2007 crashing when trying to edit chemdraw 12.0 figures
Topic Summary:
Created On: 11/2/2009 8:57 AM
Status Post and Reply
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 11/2/2009 8:57 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Tintin

I need help!
My word 2007 is crashing when i want to edit chemdraw figures in the chemdraw ultra 12.0 version, that i've just installated. At the beginning, it was working, but not anymore. Now i can't even select a figure to shift it or just resize it, if i do so i just have to end the task in the windows task manager and restart it!
Before installing chemdraw 12.0, I had Chemdraw 9.0 and everything was working perfectly.
What can i do?
Thanks for you help.
 11/2/2009 9:31 AM

CS RNA

Retest the problem after repairing CambridgeSoft ChemDraw (Ultra/Pro/Std) 12.0 through the Add/Remove Programs from the Control Panel.

If you still run into any problems, please contact support@cambridgesoft.com along with the sample embedded word document that is not behaving properly.

-------------------------

- PKI Support

11/2/2009 11:19 AM

Tintin

I did it and i did it for word too. I've tried to change the document as a 97-2003 document, but Nothing works! I can't do anything without crashing word and i've removed my chemdraw 9.0, so i can't delete the 12.0 version. I can't send the document, because it's confidential.
 2/28/2010 7:40 AM

eday

i had this exact same problem, and was panicking for days that i wouldnt be able to write my thesis at home and that somehow my computer must have gotten a virus. i tried unintalling and reinstalling but still no luck.

Finally i worked it out .... if you copy what u already have in your word document (right click over the structure and select copy), then open chem draw and paste it in there. then delete what you have in word. Do the editing in chemdraw then select all, copy and paste back into word. hope this helps!!
 3/23/2010 10:16 PM

ryan

Repair Chemdraw 12 or Repair Office2007 never solve the problem.

Chemdraw v11 never crash with office 2207.

I have a lot of files crash with chemdraw 12. Eday's way is not work for me.
 4/5/2010 2:10 PM

CS Talbot

Try changing the way you edit. When double clicking on a structure pasted into Word, there are two ways to edit it: 1. Inplace editing where you never leave Word and just get the ChemDraw tools. 2. External editing where ChemDraw launches separately. This is controlled by a preference under the General tab "Use Inplace Editing for OLE Embedded Objects in Other Applications". If your Preferences is checked, uncheck it, and retest and vice versa.

-------------------------

- PerkinElmer Informatics Support

5/10/2010 5:38 PM

Thud13

For clarification, this problem occurs when even "clicking" on the chem draw structure.

I've had this occur twice, once a few months ago and again last night. I documented both incidents well, and the link between them seems to beMicrosoft PowerPoint. It seems (although I have not been able to intentionally recreate the incident) that upon working with ChemDraw within PowerPoint for an extended period of time, eventually it "breaks" in word. This "break" also occurs in Power Point as well, although in the case of PowerPoint, it is actually ChemDraw that crashes upon opening the edit window.

Luckily, there does seem to be a workaround in my case, so try it!

A) Open your word document, and, without hovering over a ChemDraw figure, save it as a new file name.
B) Restart Computer
C) Without opening power point, open Word. Open your new file.

It should work, at least temporarily (long enough to export out your ChemDraw!)

7/12/2010 10:47 AM

Norphos

I had the same problem and what helped in my case is the following:

1) delete the chemdraw figure you want to edit by just marking them in word (click and hold above(!) the drawing and move over the object, then press backspace to delete)
2) edit the stuff in ChemDraw and paste it back into word
3) in my case strange things started to happen, first of all word didn't paste the object but instead kept telling me that it is waiting for an OLE application to finish (something like that). I noticed in the task manager, that two chemdraw.exe were in my process window. So I just killed one of them with the end process button. All of a sudden, word pasted my chemdraw object and I could even click on it again.

Hope it helps, sorry if some stuff is hard to understand, as you might notice I am not a native speaker...;-)

J
 7/13/2010 8:43 AM

Norphos

Oh actually in my case it even seems to be a bit easier...whenever your word is not doing anything anymore after you clicked on a chemdraw drawing, just open the task-manager, go to processes and kill the chemdraw.exe file. Your word application should work again after you did that. Then restart word and you should be able to edit your drawing again. I am using chemdraw 12 and word 2007 and it works in my case...
 7/13/2010 3:33 PM

trolf

Thank you Norphos you saved my ass, it works this way, I can even edit the structures directly after this.

But seriously, the chemoffice team has a problem here, this is not an intuitive solution and is a serious problem for the everyday user such as PhD students.
 8/14/2010 9:00 AM

qyt

hey guys thanks for the tip! Im so glad i came in here for help!
I had the exact same problem, just clicking on chemdraw structure just hanged the entire word program, it was so frustrating!
Thank you once again!
 12/13/2012 4:09 PM

wonkoTheSane

Hello all. I was having exactly the same problem which is completely unacceptable in this day and age. Thank you Norphos. You have saved me so much time and stress. I regret I didn't come across your advice sooner. Using the task manager to kill Chemdraw.exe caused my word program to stop hanging and let me adjust the chemdraw image like it was any old picture. Which is exactly what I wanted to do in the first place.

Chemoffice needs to fix this problem ASAP.

8/19/2014 8:17 AM

kylemax

Most of these problems occurred mainly because of using a outdated version of either chemDraw or the platform itself. It is good to move out from XP nowadays. And please update Office to the latest Service Package. Software update gives a lot of new features as well.

Edited: 5/8/2015 at 12:19 AM by PerkinElmer Informatics Support Forum Moderator

FuseTalk Basic Edition v4.0 - © 1999-2020 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.