Decrease font size
Increase font size
Topic Title: Do not update to OSX El Capitan - ChemDraw 15.0 is not functional
Topic Summary:
Created On: 10/12/2015 3:37 AM
Status Post and Reply
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 10/12/2015 3:37 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

constable

The latest release of ChemDraw 15.0 is NOT compatible with OS X 10.11

The installation is OK but there are numerous problems with the pull-down menus and the overall functionality is so impaired that it is almost unusable.

So, either do not update to El Capitan or if you have updated/recently purchsed a new Mac be prepared to find alternative solutions until 15.01 (or 15.1) is relesed. I am not holding my breath as the random crashing problems with 13 and Yosemite were never really fixed.

Ed

10/14/2015 11:49 AM

Larisa

I have El Capitan OSX and it is VERY VERY ANNOYING to work on chemdraw, I actually have to go to another computer in a different lab with windows OS to work on my files.

A couple of problems I experience:

*The Chemdraw window with your structures starts "shaking" when you move your mouse to work on the file, I can´t select structures since they move up and down. If I restart Chemdraw it gets fixed but then it randomly does it for different files.

*When I go to the main menu under Object/Align, the align options are overlapped with a previous menu it is unreadable.

10/15/2015 4:06 AM

CS RNA

Our products are released prior to the release of El Capitan. So it is not officially qualified with El Capitan.

Currently our products are not supported with El Capitan. We plan to support El Capitan for the future release/update. You will find more information about the supported environment from the following link.

http://www.cambridgesoft.com/support/DesktopSupport/KnowledgeBase/SystemRequirements/

-------------------------

- PKI Support

10/27/2015 2:54 AM

quintus

I see you are still giving the same bullshit answer. The one you trott out each time there is a new Appple OS release.

You are software developerrs and as such you must have had the developers release of El Capitan. Why can't you just adjust your current ChemDraw version and release a free patch. Other software publishers do this!

It seems like your Mac customers are second citizens to the Windows users.Probably because the latter produce more money.

Get your collective act together.

11/5/2015 6:04 PM

dweix

I have this problem as well and it goes beyond the small annoyances typical of an OS update - the program is nearly unusable! I understand that you were unprepared for an OS release that was in extensive public beta, which I would guess is a bit embarassing. I am not interested in making you feel worse about the situation!

I'm mostly interested in a response that acknowledges the problem and provides some assurance or even a time-table for a fix or a workaround. I would guess you are working on it, but it would help us if you would communicate as such instead of just saying the OS is unsupported.

11/11/2015 12:30 PM

dweix

Although Cambridgesoft support was completely unhelpful, I figured out how to solve the window-bouncing issue, at least on my computer. The key is that a colleague with 10.11 installed Chemdraw 15 after installing 10.11 and they didn't have Chemdraw on the computer already. They did not have this problem.

There is no uninstaller, so I manually removed the application and any trace of files with cambridgesoft in the name from library folders (both user and global), following the advice on this thread . Emptied the trash and reinstalled CD 15. Works now! The menu text problem is still there, but that is not a problem for me.

11/11/2015 11:59 PM

dweix

My hyperlink was removed. See instructions here:

http://forums.cambridgesoft.com/messageview.aspx?catid=12&threadid=2709

12/10/2015 12:53 PM

arnlad

Since I updated my Mac to "El Capitan" I also experienced the same "shaking" problem as Larisa. I noticed, however, that the problem disappears by just changing the size of the ChemDraw 15 window, even slightly. Of course, each time I open the program again, the problem reappears.

With the hope that it would get better, yesterday I updated my mac to the latest version, namely 10.11.2. What happens to me now is that each time I open ChemDraw it asks me the resgistration code. Then if I go on with the code, happens what is explained in the thread:

http://forums.cambridgesoft.com/messageview.aspx?catid=12&threadid=2709

I tried (once) the solution explained in the thread and it did not work for me.

In other words: now I have no ChemDraw now!

Anyone is experiencing the same issue? Any clues?

Anyone is using ChemDraw 15 and Mac OS 10.11.2 without issues?

Thank you!

12/15/2015 1:21 PM

BrianMyers

I am using ChemDraw Professional 15.0.0.106 and Mac OS X 10.11.2. While, I haven't given it a thorough workout, the program launches, opens old files, prints to PDF, and I can complete round trip editing with Word (2011) version 14.5.9 and a new file.

The only thing I have noticed is the annoying garbled text on the Object-->Align Menu (I have had this for about 6 months now). I get around this with the Key commands that work about 75% of the time otherwise I use the Object Toolbar.

Brian J. Myers, Ph.D.
Associate Professor
Department of Chemistry and Biochemistry
Ohio Northern University
 12/21/2015 1:48 PM

arnlad

Fortunately, I was able to solve my problem by writing to Cambridgesoft support. They provided me a new Registration Code that works for me. In spite of that, I still have the same problems that BrianMyers points out, but at least the program can be used. Let's hope that soon they will release an update that will solve all the problems.

12/21/2015 1:48 PM

arnlad

Fortunately, I was able to solve my problem by writing to Cambridgesoft support. They provided me a new Registration Code that works for me. In spite of that, I still have the same problems that BrianMyers points out, but at least the program can be used. Let's hope that soon they will release an update that will solve all the problems.

1/6/2016 1:19 PM

rfj

I have the same problem that everyone here while working with El Capitan.

USCD has payed a lot of money to provide us with this software and I beleive it should be adressed rapidly.

4/5/2016 7:22 AM

CS RNA

We have released an update for our v15.0 Mac product to support Mac OSX 10.11.x. Please retest the problem with our 15.1 Mac product. You can obtain a fully functional 2 week evaluation version of the latest version of our products from our web site at:

http://scistore.cambridgesoft.com/ScistoreSoftwareDisplay.aspx?Trial=Trial

- PKI Support

4/20/2016 8:02 AM

jac

I have ugraded to 15.1 and I maintain the same problem as with 15.0: The ChemDraw window shakes when having two or more windows opened (it works OK with the first window).

I use Mac OS 10.11.4.

4/21/2016 6:42 PM

PKI Ortega

If you are experiencing the "shaking" behavior, please follow these steps:

Uninstall ChemDraw from your Applications folder.

Please do a search on the hard drive by the following way.
1. In the Macintosh Finder go to the File menu and select Find
2. In the search box type com.cambridgesoft this will find at least two files

If you are not able to find those file using Finder, please browse to the following location and delete the files.
Macintosh HD\Users\[Your_UserName]\Library\Preferences
Macintosh HD\Users\[Your_UserName]\Library\Preferences\ByHost
Macintosh HD\Users\Shared/Library\Preferences
Macintosh HD\Library\Preferences

If you are not able to view the Macintosh HD\Library folder then you need un hide that folder. You will get more information from the following link.
http://hints.macworld.com/article.php?story=20110704093233123

[You need to check and move the following plist files to trash and the trash need to be empty before installing the product
com.cambridgesoft.ChemDraw.plist
com.cambridgesoft.plist
com.cambridgesoft.[long string of numbers].plist ]

Remove also the following items present in the Macintosh HD\users\[Your_UserName]\library\Internet Plug-Ins" folder (if it exists).
ChemDraw Items (folder)
Toolbars (folder)
chemdraw 80.xpt
CS ChemDraw Pro

Then delete the following folder (if it exists)..
Macintosh HD\Library\Application Support\CambridgeSoft
Macintosh HD\[adminusername\username]\Documents\ChemBioDraw
Macintosh HD\[adminusername\username]\Documents\ChemDraw

Download ChemDraw (15.1) and test again.

As a workaround you can also resize the ChemDraw window and he shaking stops.

- PKI Support

8/12/2016 11:28 AM

howcros

Still have "shaking" mouse pointer

El Capitan 10.11.6

ChemDraw Professional 15.1.0.144

I followed all the instructions in the post dated 4/21/2016, from PKI Ortega, to no avail. Mouse pointer still shakes every time I open a ChemDraw file.

This is a university subscription (i.e., a LOT of money); half the chemistry department has the shaking problem, the other half does not. Please advise asap. Thank you.

The "workaround" of resizing every ChemDraw window, every time we open any ChemDraw file, is not at all acceptable.

8/26/2016 12:32 PM

PKI Ortega

Another alternative to avoid the shaking issue is to disbable the rulers option (View > Show Rulers).

We hope to have this issue resolved in a future release of the software.

- PKI Support

FuseTalk Basic Edition v4.0 - © 1999-2017 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.