Decrease font size
Increase font size
Topic Title: Small Toolbars Chemdraw 16.0
Topic Summary: how to resize the toolbars
Created On: 11/30/2016 10:38 AM
Status Post and Reply
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 11/30/2016 10:38 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Pani

I have installed Chemdraw 16.0 (on a windows 10 platform) and the toolbars are way too small. How can I resize them?

11/30/2016 6:55 PM

PKI Ortega

Please be aware that ChemDraw does not offer support for high-def monitors (4K) on the Windows platform. Are you using one of these monitors?

The only workaround is to play around with your display settings or change the zoom option in Windows to 125%, but that will also affect your other applications.

-------------------------

- PKI Support

12/1/2016 3:09 PM

Pani

I'm working on a Lenovo Thinkpad T460P with a 14.0 WQHD(2560 x 1440) IPS Non-Touch display. I have tried to zoom the display but the expanded image I obtain does not remain, within a short space of time it zooms back to its original size and again teh tool bars and cursor is too small to work with efficiently. I really need this problem fixed. I work everyday with Chemdraw.

2/15/2017 8:05 PM

ChemWorker

Hi, I think there is no permenant fix for this problem, because Chemdraw cannot support 2K (2560 x 1440) display you are using. In order to accommodate the 2k display, everything shrinks.

A temperary solution is that, when you are using Chemdraw, change the screen resolution to 1920*1080. Then everything will be back to normal after you sign out.

Believe me, you are not the only one who has this problem. There is another fix here: http://www.danantonielli.com/adobe-app-scaling-on-high-dpi-displays-fix/

I tried the method above with my 4k display, it worked, but the icons in Chemdraw became blur, and I cannot copy it into Word documents. But when you are done with drawing, you can delete the file you put in the folder and everything will back to normal. And then you can copy it into Word documents.

In Mac, the Chemdraw supports high resolution display. I just don't understand why they don't develop the counterpart in Windows platform.

3/1/2017 8:21 PM

perfluoro

This is really appalling. I have students who cannot use this software at all. Fortunately I have an ancient Fujitsu laptop that does not have a super high-def display. I suspect a possible solution for those who are mostly using this software in their offices might be to buy an old junky external monitor just for chemdraw. Sad.

3/12/2017 5:59 PM

lblb

At least in earlier version of ChemDraw, and I suspect it's the same with 16.0, you can resize the toolbars (and In fact completely customize them), by modifying their .xml files.

6/11/2017 10:22 AM

AgentK7

For those with high DPI screens, I think I've found a fix!

• Locate ChemDraw in File Explorer
  • Right click the application and select Properties
  • Click on the Compatability tab
  • Under the Settings heading, there's an "Override high DPI scaling behaviour." box, tick it
  • Click on the drop down box under it and select System
  • Click Apply
This worked for me on my Surface Pro 4 with ChemDraw 16.0, hopefully, it'll work on your Windows systems too! I feel like crying with joy after discovering this, it's changed my life as an undergrad chemist :D
You'll have to repeat this process with the rest of the ChemOffice programs. This also works for Avogadro for me, so hopefully this is a general fix for these programs that don't support high DPI screens
 9/19/2017 1:17 AM

Aritra

It works!! Thanks! You probably saved my graduate life!

10/25/2017 10:20 AM

mmatta

It worked for me and only took a few seconds to fix. I really appreciate this!! Thank you AgentK7.

10/25/2017 10:34 AM

AgentK7

Originally posted by: Aritra It works!! Thanks! You probably saved my graduate life!

Originally posted by: mmatta It worked for me and only took a few seconds to fix. I really appreciate this!! Thank you AgentK7.

No problem! The only problem I have now is copy and pasting into Word gives me a blank image unless I put the molecule on the top-left in ChemDraw, which then makes it look smaller. I guess I'll just print screen the molecule instead to make do. Is anyone else getting this problem? :/

FuseTalk Basic Edition v4.0 - © 1999-2018 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.