Decrease font size
Increase font size
Topic Title: ChemDraw 16 Unable to Paste into Word 2016 on Windows
Topic Summary: Structure appears misaligned inside the word document
Created On: 1/16/2017 3:22 PM
Status Post and Reply
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 1/16/2017 3:22 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

adavies

I have been having many problems recently trying to edit and paste ChemDraw schemes in Word 2016 on Windows.

With ChemDraw 15.1 I was unable to edit any ChemDraw files embedded into Word by double clicking on them, I had to copy the ChemDraw from Word, paste it into a new ChemDraw doucment, then double clicking on the original scheme would allow me to edit it.

In order to try and fix this, I downloaded ChemDraw 16 and the problem is now significantly worse. The workaround mentioned above no longer works and now if I paste a stucture from ChemDraw into Word it appears misaligned (you see 1/4 of the scheme, usually zoomed in to one corner).

I am now completely unable to use ChemDraw as through your site it is impossible to download older versions and I am reluctant to do a system restore for such a minor issue.

I would be grateful for any advice on potentially fixing the problem, even complicated work-arounds.

Thanks

Alyn

1/17/2017 5:53 AM

otk

I have been having similar problems pasting ChemDraw into powerpoint - the image on the slide is incomplete, as if the copy frame is misaligned, leading to the molecule only partially shown on the slide - does anyone have a solution to this?

1/26/2017 2:19 PM

PeterShu

Which Windows operating system are you running? Windows 10 (TH3) or windows 7?

try windows 7

-------------------------
Peter Shu
 1/31/2017 1:16 PM

MMA

I too am having a similar problem. I reinstalled Windows 10 64 bit ver 1607 build 14393.693, ChemDraw 16.0.0.82 (86) and Office 2010 ver 14.0.7177.5000 (32 bit) last Friday. All are fully patched.

Now, whenever I try to paste a ChemDraw structure into WORD or to edit a ChemDraw structure by rightclick, open from within WORD, or just single click on the ChemDraw object, WORD hangs. This happens irrespective of whetherChemDraw is open or not before clicking on the image in WORD.

Any thoughts?

9/22/2017 5:49 AM

Markownikow

"I have been having similar problems pasting ChemDraw into powerpoint - the image on the slide is incomplete, as if the copy frame is misaligned, leading to the molecule only partially shown on the slide - does anyone have a solution to this?"

I have the same problem with ChemDraw 16 and Word 2012!

Is there a workaround?

9/22/2017 6:16 AM

Markownikow

OK, I found a fix:

The problem is Windows 10's high DPI scaling which must be disabled:

Right-click on ChemDraw.exe (in the install-folder) and set high DPI scaling to be handled by the aplication.

That means on a 4k monitor, ChemDraw 16 is borderline unusable! It is completely ridiculous that ChemDraw still does not support high DPI displays!

I could understand that 4k monitors were not supported a couple of years ago, but high DPI displays are becoming standard nowadays!

Working with ChemDraw 16 on my 27" 4k Monitor is very exhausting and I have students which simply cannot use ChemDraw on their Laptop because of this!

Edited: 9/22/2017 at 7:04 AM by Markownikow
 9/22/2017 6:21 AM

MMA

I also have this problem.

The "work-round" I have found is to place a full stop somewhere to the bottom right of the figure. This effectively expands the copy frame and with a bit of fiddling it's possible to get the figure to appear correctly in WORD/PowerPoint.

It's far from ideal and Cambridgesoft/Microsoft really need to fix this urgently, but at least it's possible to continue using ChemDraw while we wait for a fix.

3/28/2018 2:37 PM

MTPRTK

I am still having this issue, it is making work very difficult. Has this been resolved?

Thanks in advance

4/11/2018 3:23 AM

mvd

I have the same problem and it makes ChemDraw essentially unusable. I wrote to the support and after 6 rounds of back-and-forth emails, there is still no solution. Will send an update if one is found.

4/12/2018 12:14 PM

mvd

Update: installing the latest Windows 10 update (released Apr 10 2018) solved the problem for me.

FuseTalk Basic Edition v4.0 - © 1999-2018 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.