Decrease font size
Increase font size
Topic Title: ChemDraw15 to .eps loses italic typesetting
Topic Summary:
Created On: 2/17/2018 1:54 PM
Status Post and Reply
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 2/17/2018 1:54 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Dear ChemDraw Community,

I use ChemDraw15 on a Mac for drawing the molecules for my thesis, which I write using LaTeX.

For automatically numbering the chemicals throughout my theisis I use the package ChemNum. This package replaces placeholders with the number in .eps (Encapsulated Post-Script) files that I create out of my ChemDraw file.

For some chemical reactions I need italic typesetting (i.e. t-BuOH or E-Isomer) and this gets lost during the conversion from ChemDraw to .eps.

Does anyone have a solution for my problem?
Please note that using ChemDraw16 is no viable option, since the generated .eps files by this version do not work with ChemNum at all (For whatever reason, I couldn't find the mistake. If somebody has a solution for this I'd be glad as well)!

Best wishes

2/20/2018 9:46 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

CS PKumar

We are aware of the change in the eps file exported from ChemDraw 16.0 (also 17.0) and when used in Latex.

According to R&D, the way this works now is that each character is written separately to the EPS file. The data are there but is in a different form. Since this operation is now performed by the operating system (Mac and Windows) which exposes no such control of this behavior.

Regarding version 15.0, I have not heard of any such issue about the export EPS file loosing Italic setting. Please let us know your phone number or you can also contact at so that we can work with you to understnad the issue.

PKI Support

FuseTalk Basic Edition v4.0 - © 1999-2018 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.