PerkinElmer Informatics Support Forum
Decrease font size
Increase font size
Topic Title: What happens when pictures are copied and pasted into ChemDraw?
Topic Summary: What happens when pictures are copied and pasted into ChemDraw?
Created On: 12/2/2010 9:31 AM
Status Post and Reply
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 12/2/2010 9:31 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

jiucenglou

Hi,

Thanks for your time very much!

I am very concerned about what happens to the content/quality of picture when I copied & pasted it into ChemDraw. Say that I have a picture named "sample.bmp". The file size is 4400 X 3020, 43MB. Then I do the following:
(1) I now open it in the mspaint program, choose "select all", and choose "copy".
(2) Then I open a new ChemDraw document, and choose "paste".
(3) Then I choose to save in .cdxml format.
(4) The content of picture (maybe changed or degraded?) is now saved in the sample.cdxml file. The format is Base64-encoded zlib-compressed format.
(5) I can Base64-decode the XML string, zlib-decompress it, and save it into the picture file sample.emf.
(6) I open sample.emf in mspaint. Choose save as .bmp format, ignoring the warning that transparent information is losing.

My first question is: Why does the saved sample.emf have smaller file size (28MB) than the original sample.bmp? I mean, when I copy & paste the bitmap into ChemDraw, it is the pixels that gets transferred into ChemDraw. Why is ChemDraw-processed picture different from the original one?

Because the file size is smaller by 10 MB, is the quality degraded? Could you help to comment what exactly happens when somebody copies & pastes pictures into ChemDraw?

My second question is: When I save sample.emf into .bmp file format, a warning pops up that transparent information is losing. I do not have transparent information in the original sample.bmp file. Again, could you help to comment what happens exactly when pictures are copied & pasted into ChemDraw?

Best wishes,

FuseTalk Basic Edition v4.0 - © 1999-2020 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.