Decrease font size
Increase font size
Topic Title: ChemDraw Export High Quality PDF or EPS
Topic Summary:
Created On: 5/22/2020 10:37 PM
Status Post and Reply
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 5/22/2020 10:37 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

user1

Hello,

I am trying to export from ChemDraw 19.1.0.8 to PDF or EPS. The document contains chemical structures, text and PNGs with transparency. Unfortunately, ChemDraw does not offer PDF export (a feature that should be standard given the wide spread of PDF) and EPS export does not work properly - chemical structures are shifted relative to PNGs.

While this shift is not a lot (maybe a few mm on an A4 page), it is annoying and for me makes the file unusable.

I also tried a few workarounds:

- pasting into Illustrator CS6 and PDF export: no shift between PNG and structures, but misalignment of text (including atoms in structures). When I open the EPS in illustrator, text alignment is correct but PNGs are misaligned.

- pasting into InkScape: text alignment is OK and also structure/PNG, but PNG transparancy is a problem

- pasting into Word: no alignment issues, no transparency issues, but low quality PDF export

- ChemDraw 18 on a different machine shows the same behaviour, while ChemDraw 13 exports without the PNGs.

So as of now I do not have any feasible method to convert a CDX file to a printable (PDF) document.

Any suggestions on how to get a high quality PDF from what I see on my screen in ChemDraw?

Thanks in advance!

5/29/2020 4:44 PM

user1

Any suggestions?

5/29/2020 8:16 PM

tstone

Well, EPS export from CDX is a total mess. I require EPS export for a LaTeX document where strings are replaced during compilation to create a consistent compound numbering throughout the document. Regarding EPS export, I have had it all during the last few weeks: Reproducible crashes, casually lost bounding boxes, and unreasonably introduced line-wrapping within strings like 'COOMe'. I reported the first and the last of the mentioned things - PerkinElmer will not even consider to fix the line-wrapping thing and suggested me to use a workaround which is, well - no workaround at all. Told them that I want to use a 'Pages' type document and they suggest using 'Poster' type to prevent this? Come on.

This is for CDX documents containing plain chemical stuff. You're trying to export chemical stuff + bitmap graphics from CDX? I suggest: Don't. I recommend doing the plain chemistry stuff (rings, bonds, atoms, ...) using CDX and export to EPS. Then, place the bitmap graphics within Illustrator and export to PDF...

I agree that PDF export should be an out-of-the-box feature. It's 2020...

6/4/2020 6:05 AM

user1

Thanks! I rebuild all bitmaps in Illustrator now. But it is really a shame than ChemDraw is not able to produce publication quality post script, given how long it is around and that it is baiscally the industry standard.

6/11/2020 1:38 PM

user1

Next problem, again EPS/PDF export.

My whole ChemDraw document is set in Arial, including chemical formulas. No bitmaps in the document.

Yet, when I export the document to EPS, ChemDraw embeds Helvetica-Bold and Helvetica-Oblique and randomly sets portions of the exported document in these fonts!

Why is the whole PostScript export so terribly buggy?!?

FuseTalk Basic Edition v4.0 - © 1999-2020 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.