Decrease font size
Increase font size
Topic Title: ELN 13: Remove (delete) Field from Section Type
Topic Summary:
Created On: 4/6/2015 2:02 PM
Status Post and Reply
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 4/6/2015 2:02 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

nvcozzi

I created a "test" Field with the Field Type "Active Document" under Section Type --> Reactions --> Fields. However, I am now unable to delete this new field. When I right click my "test" field, my choices are limited to "New Field Listener", "Rename Field F2", and "Field Properties".

Thank you in advance for your help

4/6/2015 6:16 PM

CS Gleb

We apologize for the inconvenience.

Leaving that 'test' field undeleted should not harm. But if you really want to remove it, there is a workaround. You can export your section type to an XML file, open that file with a text editor like Notepad, and delete the following lines in tags < >:

object
field name="test" /
document documentType="1"
/document
/object

and

field name="test"
fieldType name="Active Document" /
fieldAddin /
/field

Save the XML file, and import it back into E-Notebook under your Section Types. This will create a new section type called e.g. 'Reaction 2' where your 'test' field is removed.

Please note that you would also need manually updating all your current configuration references from 'Reaction' to 'Reaction 2', including any collection types which contain this section type. If you miss some places which refer to the old section type, you may face issues. So staying with your current 'Reaction' section type with the redundant 'test' field just seems easier for you.

-------------------------

-PerkinElmer Technical Support

Edited: 4/6/2015 at 8:37 PM by CS Gleb
 4/6/2015 8:40 PM

nvcozzi

Thank you for your help.

If I delete only the lines you've described, when I try to import the newly edited "Reaction.XML" file, I get an "Error Importing Into Reference "Section Types. . ." message. The message says "Sorry, the name "test" is not recognized".

Looking deeper, I found another instance of the "test" label in the following section of the XML file:

box name="Spacer 1" minWidth="0" minHeight="0" preferredWidth="1000" preferredHeight="60" maxWidth="32767" maxHeight="32767" weight="0" orientation="horizontal" isNameVisible="false" isMaxButtonVisible="false"

field name="test" /

/box

If I delete this "box" section, as well as the lines you've described, then try to import the XML file again, I get the following message:

"Sorry, The 'form' start tag on line 1077 does not match the end tag of 'box'. Line 1121, position 9."

Thanks again, NVC

Edited: 4/6/2015 at 11:44 PM by nvcozzi
 4/7/2015 3:33 PM

CS Gleb

If you want to pursue removing the field, please create a support ticket at http://www.cambridgesoft.com/contact/support/ for further investigation.

Please provide the XML of your section type as exported from E-Notebook, i.e. before any editions. We would also need the exact version of your E-Notebook (screenshot from the application Help -> About...).

-------------------------

-PerkinElmer Technical Support

Edited: 4/7/2015 at 3:53 PM by CS Gleb

FuseTalk Basic Edition v4.0 - © 1999-2018 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.